Caries is a lesion of hard dental tissues, accompanied by the formation of cavity defects. First, the enamel is destroyed. After, there is a destruction of areas of dentin, pulp, periosteum and bone. This is the most commonly dental disease and the main cause of tooth loss. Following preventive measures can help you to avoid the development of carious lesions of dental units.
Hygiene measures to prevent caries
The most common reason for the development of carious lesions is insufficient oral hygiene. Prevention and treatment of caries begins with the removal of soft plaque. It is a favorable environment for the reproduction of bacteria.
To minimize the risk of enamel destruction, a number of rules must be observed.
- Teeth should be brushed 2 times a day with sweeping movements, from the gums to the edges of the crowns of the dental units. The cleaning process should take at least 3 minutes.
- During cleaning, you need to pay attention to the tongue, gums, the inner surface of the cheeks.
- It is important to choose the right toothbrush. Soft bristles are suitable for people suffering from inflammatory gum disease, periodontal problems. A medium hard brush is optimal for most. Hard bristles are suitable for increased plaque formation, coffee lovers, strong tea or smokers.
- You need to use dental floss. It helps to cope with the remnants of food in the interdental spaces.
- It is recommended to use mouth rinses without ethanol after meals, during the day.
When choosing a toothpaste, people with damaged enamel should take into account that large abrasive particles should not be in its composition. Even in the absence of such problems, you should not use such a product often. Pastes with a high fluoride content are useful for caries prevention.
Application of fluorine
Fluoride affects tooth enamel throughout a person’s life. The most intensive process of accumulation of this substance in the tissues of the teeth occurs during the formation of the crown and during mineralization. The amount of fluoride deposited in mineralized tissues depends on its intake from various sources. First of all, it contains in drinking water. Fluorine ions in optimal concentration help prevent caries. The substance increases the resistance of teeth to decay, inhibits their demineralization, enhances remineralization, reduces bacterial activity in plaque, and prevents the formation of acid.
One of the most effective ways to prevent caries is proper nutrition.
- You should limit the use of sweets. It is better to replace confectionery and chocolate with dried fruits, honey, drink compotes instead of soda water. You should also control the amount of carbohydrates. After each meal, rinse your mouth.
- You need to balance your diet. In order for the hard tissues of the tooth to receive the right amount of minerals, you should eat a lot of fermented milk products, cheeses, fresh herbs, nuts, meat and lean fish.
- You should eat solid foods. Carrots, apples, and other hard fruits or vegetables are incredibly healthy. They also mechanically clean the enamel, stimulate blood circulation in the gums, which helps maintain the health of the oral cavity.
- You should be careful about the temperature of food and drinks. It is advisable not to eat too hot or cold foods, do not alternate them. Otherwise, the enamel may become covered with microcracks, which contributes to the accumulation of plaque, the multiplication of bacteria.
- You should carefully eat hard food. Nuts and other similar products are best eaten carefully, make sure that their particles do not get stuck in the interdental spaces.
It is also recommended to visit the dentist every six months